The Royal Canadian Legion in the Western Zone of the USA including Mexico
November 3, 2017Posted by on
Read the article on page 79 in the November/December 2017 issue of The Legion Magazine. It describes the project that obtained markers for Canadian Veteran’s that are buried in the Inglewood Park Cemetery in Inglewood, California. Our Zone was instrumental in seeing this project through to completion.
October 25, 2017Posted by on
Every member should set aside 17 minutes and watch this. Lots of interesting history and an education on what the Legion is all about.
See it at: https://youtu.be/HOt16Xz334I
June 30, 2017Posted by on
June 21, 2017Posted by on
July 19, 2016Posted by on
One of our members requested that we feature the Canadian Starfighter Museum in Winnipeg. Visit their webpage at:http://www.canadianstarfightermuseum.ca/
June 5, 2016Posted by on
July 17, 2015Posted by on
Approximately 150 Canadian veterans of World Wars I and II have rested in unmarked graves in the Inglewood Park Cemetery, Inglewood, California for many years. Following a 5 year effort by Veterans Affairs Canada and the Royal Canadian Legion in California the first 10 markers have been set to honor these men and women. The balance will be set over the coming months. Now we need to find the right agency in the British Government that will do the same for their veterans that rest nearby.
April 2, 2015Posted by on
The Royal Canadian Legion plans to have a booth at the Scottish Festival in Costa Mesa on May 23rd and 24th, 2015.
Stop by our booth and pick up a traditional poppy. Check out the Scottish Festival activities at their website: http://www.scottishfest.com/
July 15, 2014Posted by on
Tom Rödl of the California Branch 156, presents a $1000 check to the Director of Child Life Services, Melissa Hebron, at the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center to use for the comfort, education and entertainment of their pediatrics patients, and their families, to make their treatments successful and their time in the facility as pleasant as possible. This photo was published in a recent issue of The award winning publication, The Legion Magazine.
June 28, 2013Posted by on
Some may wonder what activities the Royal Canadian Legion does in California since we are so far from Canada.
Our main activities include:
1. On Remembrance Day a service to honor “the fallen” is held at a local American Legion hall, then on Memorial Day we hold a memorial service at the Inglewood Park Cemetery in Inglewood to honor “the fallen”.
2. Our various Branches and the Zone make donations to many different charities in the communities where funds have been raised.
3. The Inglewood Park Cemetery is the final resting place of many British Commonwealth veterans, many of these men and women fought in WWI and WWII. It was recently discovered that approximately 160 of the graves are unmarked so our Zone is working with Veterans Affairs Canada to have a headstone placed on each veteran’s grave.
4. Many of the headstones that are in place have become damaged over the years so we are working with the cemetery to have them replaced.
5. Our San Francisco Branch is deeply involved with supporting the Sea Cadets, Arkansas Division in their area.
5. We keep in touch with, and are a resource to, many living and aging veterans and their spouses that live in the Western US.
6. It takes people to do all of the above so we are always looking for new members – please consider joining us.
We Will Remember Them.