June 28, 2013
Posted by on
Some may wonder what activities the Royal Canadian Legion does in California since we are so far from Canada.
Our main activities include:
1. On Remembrance Day a service to honor “the fallen” is held at a local American Legion hall, then on Memorial Day we hold a memorial service at the Inglewood Park Cemetery in Inglewood to honor “the fallen”.
2. Our various Branches and the Zone make donations to many different charities in the communities where funds have been raised.
3. The Inglewood Park Cemetery is the final resting place of many British Commonwealth veterans, many of these men and women fought in WWI and WWII. It was recently discovered that approximately 160 of the graves are unmarked so our Zone is working with Veterans Affairs Canada to have a headstone placed on each veteran’s grave.
4. Many of the headstones that are in place have become damaged over the years so we are working with the cemetery to have them replaced.
5. Our San Francisco Branch is deeply involved with supporting the Sea Cadets, Arkansas Division in their area.
5. We keep in touch with, and are a resource to, many living and aging veterans and their spouses that live in the Western US.
6. It takes people to do all of the above so we are always looking for new members – please consider joining us.
We Will Remember Them.
June 3, 2013
Posted by on
The June 2013 issue of our US Western Zone Newsletter has just been mailed out to each of our members. The newsletter contains stories on several of our members that I know you will find very interesting. To have an early look at the issue, or to download a copy, select here: Western_Summer2013a